1 users online

The Arizonan

Charlton 1-1 Fulham Cham 41 1415 Kent Online

last updated Thursday 09th April 2015, 10:14 AM

Kent Online
Josh Fordham at Kent Online

Charlton (1) 1-1 (1) Fulham

Charlton secured their Championship status with a draw at home to Fulham on Tuesday night.

Although it was hardly in doubt the Addicks are now mathematically safe from relegation with five games left when just two months ago it looked as though they would be scrapping for their lives just as their opponents Fulham are doing.

After losing 3-2 to Norwich on February 10 they were 20th in the table and just three points ahead of London rivals Millwall which shows what a dramatic turnaround Guy Luzon has achieved.

Johann Gudmundsson's 10th goal of the season cancelled out Ross McCormack's early opener to secure a point for his side in a week where rumours have been circulating that a number of Premier League teams are trailing the 24-year-old winger.

Fulham took an eighth-minute lead through £11million striker McCormack, who headed into an empty net from 12 yards. Ryan Tunnicliffe played a long ball over the top which hit Matt Smith on the back on the head and looped up for McCormack to head in. Stephen Henderson was left stranded in no mans land trying to claim the ball.

Charlton hit back just eight minutes later when Gudmundsson tapped in at the back post when the away side were caught foolishly trying to play the offside trap. Morgan Fox whipped in a wonderful low cross that deceived the entire opposition back four where Frederic Bulot and Gudmundsson were both unmarked in the penalty area.

Bulot missed the ball but the Icelandic winger didn't make the same mistake to equalise. Fulham's protestations that they were both offside were swiftly waved away by the linesman.

The first half was frantic at times with both sides having opportunities to score. The best of those chances went to the home side with left-back Morgan Fox their star player.

Fulham nearly went two goals clear when Danny Guthrie slid in McCormack, who sprung the offside trap with ease, in the 13th minute but failed to work Stephen Henderson. Tal Ben Haim recovered well and blocked his shot for a corner.

After the Addicks equalised Gudmundsson had the stadium on their feet in the 27th minute when the crowd thought he had tapped in to an open goal from five yards when it look impossible to miss.

The net rippled but celebrations were premature as it was just side-netting. Igor Vetokele had initially done well on the left to get to the byline and drill a cross right across the face of the goal to Gudmundsson who squandered the chance for his second.

The second half limped on for 20 minutes before there was any action of note and two chances came moments after another for Tony Watt.

Watt could not squeeze his shot the right side of the post when he was bearing down on Marcus Bettinelli's goal in the 63rd minute. Watt robbed Guthrie of the ball on the halfway line but was tackled while driving at the Fulham defence. Bulot lost his footing while trying to recover possession and the ball fortuitously fell to the Scottish striker who failed to find the target from eight yards.

The second chance came just a minute later when space opened up for Watt 25 yards from goal and he did not need a second invitation to shoot but sliced well wide.

Henderson pulled off a superb save in the 69th minute to deny McCormack a brace. The striker created himself a yard of space on the edge of the Charlton area and curled it round two defenders. The Irish goalkeeper pushed the ball round the post at full stretch to keep the teams level.

Fulham pushed desperately for a winner in the last 10 minutes of the game and their quest for a vital three points did not prove fruitful with Matt Smith blazing over from six yards just a minute from time.

The away side's frustration was evident as ex-Charlton favourite Scott Parker seemed to get in an argument with home fans after suffering abuse for most of the game.

Source .
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"