1 users online

Chris of Jokes

Newcastle will not increase Boa Morte bid

last updated Wednesday 27th July 2005, 6:12 PM
Newcastle supremo Freddy Shepherd says the club won't be held to ransom as they bid to add to the squad ahead of the new season.

The chairman has completed the deals to bring in Scott Parker and Emre over the summer, and has also tabled bids for Fenerbahce's Nicolas Anelka and Luis Boa Morte of Fulham.

But while many fans are becoming increasingly concerned at the length of time it is taking to bring players in, Mr Shepherd points out that the transfer market in general has been quiet in the close season.

"I've said earlier that it has been quiet, and I don't think the market will really start motoring until the end of July," said Mr Shepherd.

"Money is the main factor in any transfer, and people are being a lot more careful than they used to be.

"Clubs want quality and value for money, and to get that quality you have to spend the money.

"We've spent £11m to bring in Scott Parker and Emre, and there's no doubting they are quality players.

"We are no different to any other club in that we want value for money.

"In the past perhaps we have been willing to bring in a player at any cost, but we're not going to be anybody's mugs anymore."

Referring to the double bid for Anelka and Boa Morte, Mr Shepherd added: "The offers have been made for the players we want.

"They are certainly not derisory, and we won't be budging. If the clubs in question decide to pick the bids up, then great.

"If not, then we'll move on. If we don't get them, then Graeme and the scouts will identify different players and we'll move for them."
Source NUFC by Gary Oliver and Ian Willis in La Coruna
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"