4 users online

infovavacascom, supinfotrcom, konuspornews, apkgaarcom

Match Report ~ Fulham beaten by Burnley ~ Prem MD18 20/21

last updated Sunday 24th January 2021, 5:43 PM

Match Report

Fulham (0) 0-3 (1) Burnley

FA Cup 4th Round 2021 at Craven Cottage

Sunday 24th January 2021    KO: 14:30

Referee: Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire)

Live on BT Sports

Match Stats Burnley Fulham
Goals (0) 0 3 (1)
Scorers Rodriguez 31
Rodriguez pen 71
Long 81
Goal attempts 9 16
On target 3 6
Shooting Accuracy 0% 0%
Possession 57% 43%
Passes Success 75% 65%
Corners 5 2
Tackles Success 61% 85%
Saves 3 3
Fouls 15 11
Offsides 6 5
Yellows 2 2
Reds 0 0
source: SkySports
Fulham bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup on Sunday evening as Burnley progressed at a snowy Craven Cottage.

A brace from Jay Rodriguez either side of half-time put the Clarets in control, before Kevin Long put the game out of reach late on.

There was a much-changed line-up named by Scott Parker as could be expected with a congested fixture schedule, including a start for Michael Hector and a slot on the bench for Fabio Carvalho.

Josh Onomah, Tim Ream, Joe Bryan and Marek Rodak kept their places from the QPR victory last-round, as did Aleksandar Mitrovic, who wore the Captain’s armband.

Three minutes in and Burnley thought they’d gone ahead through Matej Vydra after he was slotted in yards from goal. However, as we’ve seen so often this season, there was a disciplined defensive line ensuring the Burnley man was well offside and a flag was raised.

A few minutes later and Fulham almost had some joy of their own. Frank Anguissa struck a lovely controlled volley just inside the box and a deflection almost put it into the path of Onomah, but for a Burnley defender’s last-ditch clearance.

The Clarets were straight down the other end in a back and forth opening, and Vydra was in again. He jinked past Hector down the left and got a shot off, but Rodak was alert to parry at his near post.

The conditions were playing a part as Burnley continued to attack the Fulham goal. A Phil Bardsley shot from range took an awkward bobble on the saturated surface before reaching Rodak, and this unpredictable nature meant he could only clear as far as Vydra, who put his shot on the rebound well wide.

In the 19th minute it was Fulham’s turn to have a goal disallowed. Bobby De Cordova-Reid dazzled his way past Eric Pieters down the right before crossing in for Mitrovic who headed home following a deflection, but offside was called in the build-up keeping the tie goalless.

After an uneventful following ten minutes, next came another chance for Sean Dyche’s men. Dwight McNeil broke with pace and poked the ball through to Vydra again. He got a shot off after a poor first touch, but Marek Rodak got down well to prevent a goal.

However, a couple of minutes later and Burnley did go ahead. Jack Cork found space down the right before swinging in a cross to Rodriguez, who made no mistake planting his header home from six yards.

The last action of the first half saw a Joe Bryan free kick swung in from deep to a threatening area, but no one was there to capitalise on the cross.

It was a bright start the second half from the Whites who had work to do, and had their best period of the game so far just after the restart.

De Cordova-Reid, who had been dangerous down the right, placed a delightful ball into the area from the corner. Bryan was there in the centre and got a powerful shot off with his weaker right foot, requiring a smart save from Bailey Peacock-Farrell, who also got to Mitrovic’s two efforts in quick succession straight after.

Rodak had been sharp all game, and was tested again soon after. A Bardsley ball in was steered goalward from Rodriguez and, although he turned out to be offside, our shot-stopper took no chances getting down brilliantly yet again.

With just over 20 minutes on the clock Parker decided to freshen things up, bringing on Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Neeskens Kebano, who both played their part in last round’s result, for Anguissa and De Cordova-Reid.

Burnley then got a second from the penalty spot through Rodriguez again after Vydra went tumbling from a Hector shoulder barge, and it was a long way back now for Fulham.

But Parker's men weren't giving up and continued to push forward through Loftus-Cheek this time. He slotted through Aboubakar Kamara on the counter-attack, but Peacock-Farrell got a strong hand to his shot, just about preventing it from trickling over the line before the offside flag went up anyway.

The Clarets got a third with nine minutes remaining through Long after a neat chest down from Rodriguez to confirm the result on a day to forget for Fulham.

There was a chance to give valuable experience to Fabio Carvalho as the clock ticked down, as well as more minutes for Denis Odoi.

In the end Fulham’s cup run came to a halt in disappointing fashion, with full focus now on our Premier League campaign as we travel to Brighton on Wednesday night.

Fulham: Rodak, Hector, Ream, Adarabioyo (Odoi 82), Bryan, De Cordova-Reid (Kebano 68), Lemina (Carvalho 82), Anguissa (Loftus-Cheek 68), Onomah, Kamara, Mitrovic

Unused substitutes: Areola, Tete, Cavaleiro, Lookman, Reed

Booked: Kamara (75,arg), Mitrovic (86,f)

Burnley: Peacock-Farrell, Bardsley, Tarkowski (Dunne 86), Long, Pieters (Lowton 86), Gudmundsson, Cork, Stephens, McNeil (Benson 86), Rodriguez (Mumbongo 89), Vydra

Unused substitutes: Mee, Brownhill, Wood, Westwood, Norris

Rodriguez 31 (header from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Jack Cork with a cross.)
Rodriguez pen 71 (converts the penalty with a right footed shot to the centre of the goal. Penalty conceded by Michael Hector after a foul in the penalty area.)
Long 81 (left footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Jay Rodriguez following a set piece situation.)

Booked: Tarkowski (75,arg), Pieters (80,f),

Referee: Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire)

Attendance: 0

Source Jack Pooley at Fulham FC
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"