0 users online

HalfTime Report ~ Fulham 0 - Man Utd 3

last updated Wednesday 21st December 2011, 9:01 PM

Danny Welbeck, Nani and Ryan Giggs were on target in Manchester United's dominant first half at Craven Cottage.

United, who lost Phil Jones midway through the half after the England international took a bang to the head, capitalised on poor defending to lead the Barclays Premier League clash at the interval.

Fulham had little or no answer to United's dominance and barely created a chance of their own.

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand was rested for tonight's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Ryan Giggs came in for Ferdinand with Phil Jones moving from midfield to defence, while Anders Lindegaard was preferred ahead of David de Gea in goal.

Fulham named an unchanged line-up with Bobby Zamora only winning a place on the bench after recovering from a knee injury.

Play was held up after only a minute when Jones was floored during a mid-air collision with Clint Dempsey.

The former Blackburn defender, who was starting at right-back, received lengthy treatment before resuming, while Dempsey escaped punishment from referee Mark Halsey.

By the fifth minute United were ahead, the beneficiaries of some appalling defending that allowed Nani to maraud unchecked down the left flank.

The Portugal winger worked his way to the byline before crossing past Philippe Senderos, who was completely out of position, to Danny Welbeck. With only David Stockdale to beat, Welbeck made no mistake from close range.

United went desperately close to adding a second, but no-one could reach Jones' cross.

The England defender then made a crucial intervention in his own area, executing a brilliant tackle on Bryan Ruiz as the Costa Rica forward closed in on goal.

Moments later Jones was led from the pitch and replaced by Ashley Young, his earlier tangle with Dempsey having taken its toll.

HT: Fulham 0 Manchester United 3 United made it look far too easy as they powered further ahead in the 28th minute.

Giggs floated in a cross after taking possession from Antonio Valencia at a corner with Fulham's defence rooted to the spot as an untroubled Nani nodded home.

There was little respite for the Cottagers, who were picked apart almost at will by the title challengers.

The third goal arrived three minutes before half time, Nani taking full advantage of the acres of space presented to him in the area to tee up Giggs.

Senderos came sliding in and Giggs' chip took a deflection off the Swiss centre back and looped over the head of Stockdale and into the net.

Source Sporting Life
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"