0 users online

Fulham thump Barnsley 5-1

last updated Sunday 10th September 2000, 1:57 PM
SahaFulham 5-1 Barnsley
Saha 6, 31, 45 pen, Hayles 59, Boa Morte 90 - Appleby 73
Nationwide Division One

Andy Clarke reporting

Fulham stormed back to the top of the First Division after taking Barnsley to pieces at Craven Cottage.

Louis Saha scored a first half hat-trick, and Barry Hayles and Luis Boa Morte added further goals as Jean Tigana's side looked at times as if they could score at will.

Had their finishing been better, it is no exaggeration to say that the Cottagers should have scored ten.

Barnsley were a shadow of the side which so nearly won promotion to the Premiership last season, but this match was all about the quality of the home side, whose passing and movement was a joy to watch.

Saha set them on the way to their fifth consecutive league victory with a goal after only six minutes.

Dave Bassett employed a new central defensive pairing of Brian O'Callaghan and Mateo Corbo, and they could only stand and watch as Saha powered in a header from Fabrice Fernandes' free kick.

Indeed Corbo, a Uruguayan making his debut for the Tykes, endured a torrid afternoon, including a booking after only 56 seconds for throwing the ball away after a free-kick was awarded against him.

Fulham's second came only moments after Mike Sheron of Barnsley wrongly had a goal ruled out for offside.

The home side broke the length of the field, Hayles turned inside O'Callaghan and when Kevin Miller parried his shot, Saha was on hand to turn in the rebound.

Saha's third - his seventh of the season - came on the stroke of half time from the penalty spot after Miller had sent Bjarne Goldbaek tumbling.

Fulham's fourth was easily the pick of the bunch. Goldbaek started it with a neat interchange with Steve Finnan, before picking out Saha on the right wing. The frenchman's pinpoint first time cross was nudged over the line by Hayles.

As Tigana's men continued to embarrass their guests, the frustration became too much for Mitch Ward, who was booked for the second time in the match for a lunge at Fernandes.

However, referee Andy Hall failed to notice that it was the former Everton man's second offence, and four farcical minutes elapsed before the fourth official pointed out the error (pictured).

Ward was duly dismissed, and being reduced to ten men briefly sparked the Yorkshire side into life, as Matt Appleby scored a consolation.

But in the final minute there was further humiliation, as O'Callaghan needlessly intercepted a ball which was rolling safely through to Miller, and Boa Morte stole in to score a fifth.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Brevett, Melville, Coleman, Davis, Goldbaek (Hayward 71), Clark (Lewis 79), Fernandes, Saha, Hayles (Boa Morte 64).
Subs Not Used: Hahnemann, W. Collins.
Booked: Coleman.
Goals: Saha 6, 31, 45 pen, Hayles 60, Boa Morte 90.

Barnsley: Miller, Regan, Morgan (Moses 46), Appleby, Ward, O'Callaghan, Van Der Laan, Sheron, Shipperley (L. Jones 69), Corbo (Neil 57), Barnard.
Subs Not Used: Walker, Woan.
Sent Off: Ward (67).
Booked: Corbo, Ward, Miller, Neil, Moses.
Goals: Appleby 73.

Att: 10,437
Ref: A Hall (Birmingham).

Source Sky Sports
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"