0 users online

Fulham thrashed by Bristol City - Ch. Match Report MD09

last updated Thursday 28th September 2017, 10:45 AM

Match Report

Fulham (0) 0-4 (1) Bristol City

Championship Match Day 09 1617 at Craven Cottage

Saturday 24th September 2016    KO: 19:45

Referee Peter Bankes (Merseyside)

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald
Fulham midfielder
Kevin McDonald
Kevin McDonald
His Wiki page
Bristol City won at Craven Cottage for the second time in four days, but this 4-0 victory in a match between two full-strength teams was far more more convincing than Wednesday's 2-1 triumph in the EFL Cup.

Fulham are without a win in five games and although they will feel that the result did not reflect the balance of play, it highlighted City's deadliness in front of goal.

Eighteen-year-old England Under-19 forward Tammy Abraham, on loan from Chelsea, whose late strike won Wednesday's game, scored his 10th goal of the season after only 10 minutes.

Luke Freeman added a second in the 60th minute and Bobby Reid made it 3-0 eight minutes later.

Fulham finished the match a man short after Kevin McDonald was sent off 10 minutes from time. Aden Flint scored City's fourth four minutes afterwards.

Fulham had started brightly, with left back Ryan Sessegnon behind their best early moments, including a first-time shot that had City goalkeeper Frank Fielding sprawling to his left to save.

Match Stats Fulham Bristol City
Goals (0) 0 4 (1)
Scorers   Abraham 10
    Freeman 60
    Reid 68
    Flint 83
Goal attempts 22 20
On target 2 10
Shooting Accuracy 9% 50%
Possession 63% 37%
Passes 506 297
Pass Success 82% 68%
Crosses 19 15
Crosses Success 21% 40%
Corners 7 5
Tackles 13 22
Tackles Success 69% 68%
Saves 6 2
Fouls 13 10
Offsides 0 4
Yellows 2 2
Reds 1 0
source: Fulham FC/Soccernet
But it was down Sessegnon's side that City found space as they took the lead in the 10th minute. City captain Marlon Pack sent Jamie Paterson clear down the right, and Abraham, unmarked, volleyed his cross into the roof of the net from three yards.

Paterson almost provided a second for City six minutes later after Fulham had failed to clear a corner kick, but his curling cross was headed over the crossbar by defender Flint.

Fulham had chances to get back on terms but Chris Martin nodded wide and McDonald headed over.

And they could have gone further behind in the 26th minute when Lee Tomlin, unchallenged, hooked a half-volley wide from 10 yards.

Scott Parker, the Fulham captain, did his best to bring his team level with two well-struck long-range shots but both missed to the right.

City, though, looked more dangerous, and David Button had to dive full-length to his right to keep out a low shot by Tomlin three minutes before the break.

Fulham also began the second half promisingly and Sone Aluko struck a half-volley against the angle of post and bar from 18 yards.

But just before the hour, City doubled their lead. Tomlin weaved past three defenders and found Freeman, who struck the ball low across Button and just inside the far upright.

It was 3-0 after 68 minutes, midfielder Reid connecting with a 20-yarder that skidded low past Button's right hand and into the bottom corner of the net.

Fulham's dismal afternoon got worse when McDonald was shown a red card for a studs-first challenge on City substitute Callum O'Dowda.

And the depleted Cottagers conceded a fourth, Flint running in to net from close range after Paterson had hit the ball low across goal.

Fulham: Button; Odoi, Madl (Jozabed 66'), Sigurdsson, Ryan Sessegnon; Parker (Johansen 45'), McDonald; Cairney, Sone Aluko, Kebano (Matt Smith 65'); Martin
Unused substitutes: Bettinelli, Malone, Ream, Lucas Piazon

Booked: Parker (38,f), Sigurdsson (75,f)

Sent Off: McDonald (79,sf)

Bristol City: Fielding; Little, Flint, Magnusson, Bryan; Pack, Reid; Paterson, Tomlin (O'Dowda 74'), Freeman (Brownhill 73'); Abraham (Wilbraham 69')
Unused substitutes: O'Donnell, Scott Golbourne, Taylor Moore, Engvall

Abraham 10 ( right footed shot from very close range to the top right corner. Assisted by Jamie Paterson with a cross.)
Freeman 60 ( left footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Lee Tomlin.)
Reid 68 ( right footed shot from outside the box to the bottom left corner.)
Flint 83 ( right footed shot from very close range to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Jamie Paterson.)

Booked: Little (49,f), Paterson (84,tw)

Referee:: Referee Peter Bankes (Merseyside)

Attendance:: 20,585

Source ESPN FC/football league
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"