0 users online

Fulham lose at West Ham :- Match Report

last updated Saturday 01st September 2012, 4:31 PM

West Ham (3) 3 Fulham (0) 0

Match Stats West Ham Fulham
Goals 1 0
Scorers Nolan 01  
  Reid 29  
  Taylor 41  
Goal attempts 16 15
On target 6 5
Possession 45% 55%
Corners 6 6
Offsides 1 2
Total Passes 453 553
Pass Success 83.4% 84.6%
Tackles 25 21
Tackles Success 80.0% 95.2%
Crosses 22 18
Saves 9 3
Fouls 12 5
Yellows 0 0
Reds 0 0
source: Soccernet
Andy Carroll wasted no time in winning over the West Ham fans as the big striker helped his new side to a comfortable win.

The result was beyond doubt when Carroll was given a rousing reception as he hobbled off clutching his leg with 25 minutes left.

Earlier, Carroll played his part in the build-up to Kevin Nolan's first-minute opener before Winston Reid and Matt Taylor sealed the victory.

Carroll, who was flanked by Ricardo Vaz Te and Taylor with Matt Jarvis missing following a knock in training, was involved straight away.

A long, clearing header from James Collins was flicked on by the England international into the path of Vaz Te who played the ball in to Nolan, with Carroll's ex-Newcastle team-mate finishing firmly past Mark Schwarzer.

Fulham manager Martin Jol
Fulham manager
Martin Jol
Martin Jol
Fulham's debutant Kieran Richardson had the visitors' first real chance when he fired in a low effort from distance that was palmed away by West Ham goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

With less than 10 minutes on the clock Carroll was again involved when he headed Vaz Te's cross into the on-rushing Mohamed Diame, who saw his effort tipped onto the crossbar by Schwarzer.

The Australian goalkeeper was keeping his side in the game in the opening exchanges and was called upon once more to tip Vaz Te's low shot around the post.

Nolan came close to adding a second in the 16th minute as the same combination of players who created the first goal ran riot once more.

Carroll, who had won every header he contested in the early stages, picked out Vaz Te who found Nolan on the edge of the Fulham penalty area.

This time the Hammers captain attempted a lobbed effort that landed on the top of Schwarzer's net with the home side fully in control.

Fulham started to enjoy a little bit more possession as the first half progressed but were soon further behind.

Taylor's 29th-minute corner found Reid on the edge of the six-yard area and he beat Mahamadou Diarra to the ball to power a header past Schwarzer to double the home side's lead.

Vaz Te, who was full of running and always wanted the ball, was proving a constant thorn in the side of the Fulham defence and Nolan should have done better when the Portuguese picked him out inside the box.

It was not long afterwards that the third goal was scored by the Hammers as Collins' free-kick was headed clear by Fulham's Brede Hangeland.

The loose ball broke free to the feet of Taylor who finished well from the edge of the penalty area.

Fulham had back-to-back corners in first-half injury time but could not create an opening and were almost caught on the counter-attack before the half-time whistle.

Fulham manager Martin Jol reacted to the disastrous first half by introducing new signing Dimitar Berbatov at the interval with Mladen Petric making way.

Carroll started the second half as he did the first, winning a header that found Vaz Te, who could not direct his shot towards goal.

Taylor almost scored his second of the game five minutes after the re-start as a short free-kick was worked to him by Nolan.

The 30-year-old's effort was straight at Schwarzer but the experienced goalkeeper could not hold it and the ball was eventually cleared for a corner.

Fulham again had a spell of sustained possession but still lacked a cutting edge even with Berbatov now involved.

Carroll was replaced by Carlton Cole with just under 25 minutes remaining after seeming to injure his hamstring after a heavy landing.

The visitors continued to press and Steve Sidwell finally forced a smart save out of Jaaskelainen following a Damien Duff corner.

Jol's side continued to show signs of improvement as Berbatov linked well with Hugo Rodallega, with the latter again testing Jaaskelainen.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce was forced to make his third and final substitution when defender Guy Demel went down injured. Demel was replaced by teenager Robert Hall with Taylor reverting to full-back.

Hall had the chance to put West Ham four goals ahead after Vaz Te ran the length of the field after collecting the ball from a poor Fulham corner.

The 25-year-old jinked his way into the box and rolled the ball to Hall but his shot was well blocked.

The three points had long-since been secured by the Hammers who sat back for the closing stages with Fulham chasing a consolation goal.

Berbatov certainly gave Fulham a cutting edge during the closing stages and almost created goals for Duff and Rodallega, with Jaaskelainen keeping both efforts out.

West Ham: Jaaskelainen, Demel (Hall 78), Reid, Collins (Tomkins 67), O'Brien, Diame, Noble, Nolan, Taylor, Vaz Te, Carroll (Cole 68)
Subs not used: Henderson, Maiga, Diarra, O'Neil

Goals: Nolan 1, Reid 29, Taylor 41

Fulham: Schwarzer, Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise, Duff, Sidwell, Diarra, Richardson (Kacaniklic 59), Rodallega, Petric (Berbatov 46)
Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Baird, Kasami, Briggs

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire)

Attendance: 33,458

Source Daily Mail/SkySports
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"