4 users online

infovavacascom, supinfotrcom, konuspornews, apkgaarcom

Fulham fail to beat the Burnley hoodoo

last updated Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 9:54 PM
Roy Hodgson
Roy Hodgson concentrates on the League
Burnley 1 Fulham 0
Local lad Jay Rodriguez stepped off the bench to steer Coca-Cola Championship side Burnley into the fourth round of the Carling Cup at Turf Moor.

Rodriguez rounded the goalkeeper and kept a cool head to grab the winner with two minutes remaining.

It was the all the more remarkable considering it was his first appearance of the season but no more than Burnley deserved.

The Coca-Cola Championship side almost took the lead in the 31st minute when Chris McCann's effort was deflected to safety by goalkeeper Pascal Zuberbuhler.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson shook up his side for this Carling Cup third round match at Turf Moor.

Of the team that went down to Blackburn, only Paul Konchesky, Andy Johnson and Zoltan Gera remained from the starting line-up.

Championship hopefuls Burnley showed two changes from the weekend when they drew with Swansea, with Joey Gudjonsson and Robbie Blake replacing Alex McDonald and Steven Thompson.

Burnley were looking to stretch their unbeaten run to six games after a poor start to the season.

However they found themselves on the back foot in the fourth minute when Johnson skipped away, only for his cross to be diverted to safety by Clarke Carlisle.

Burnley manager Owen Coyle was forced to make a change in the 12th minute when Russell Anderson was carried off following a shoulder charge by Clint Dempsey and replaced by Michael Duff.

Johnson then tried to pick out Dempsey but Clarke made a vital interception for the home side in the penalty area.

Dempsey was seeing plenty of the ball and tried to chip Brian Jensen in the 17th minute, only for the goalkeeper to make a comfortable save.

Match Stats Burnley Fulham
Goals 1 0
Possession 55% 45%
Goal attempts 12 6
On Target 5 2
Corners 4 5
Off-sides 5 1
Saves 2 4
Fouls 9 6
Yellows 0 1
Reds 0 0
source: Soccernet
Fulham were looking dangerous on the break and three minutes later Stephen Jordan did well to block Johnson's teasing delivery from the left.

Burnley responded and Martin Paterson made space in the area but sent his effort over the bar.

Burnley almost took the lead in the 31st minute when Chris McCann latched on to pass from Paterson only for goalkeeper Pascal Zuberbuhler to get a vital touch,

Three minutes later the goalkeeper was put under pressure by team-mate Chris Baird's sloppy back pass.

The pacey Paterson tried to take advantage but Zuberbuhler made a crucial block to spare Baird's blushes.

Burnley were growing in confidence and Blake picked out Elliott at the back post in the 39th minute.

However he rushed his effort and failed to test the goalkeeper, the ball going wide of the post.

With Fulham boss Hodgson making eight changes from the weekend it was little wonder Fulham were taking time to settle.

Konchesky came close in the 43rd minute following a quick free-kick from Johnson.

The Fulham full-back rattled in a shot from 20 yards but Steven Caldwell made the clearance.

Fulham started the second half brightly and Dempsey's effort went narrowly wide in the 56th minute after he had been set up by Gera.

The visitors kept up the pressure and a cross from Konchesky was cut out by the impressive Carlisle.

Burnley were penned back again on the hour when Gera made room for himself only to see his effort blocked.

This was testing time for the Championship side after a good run of form in recent weeks.

However, they responded in the 62nd minute with a swift counter-attack and McCann rattled in a shot that was cleared by Gera.

From the rebound McCann saw his effort go past the goalkeeper but past the post as well.

Burnley were now getting into some decent positions in an attempt to make the breakthrough but some of their decision-making was poor.

Fulham launched a swift-counter attack in the 68th minute but Seol Ki-Hyeon failed to get a good enough touch to trouble Jensen.

McCann squandered a great chance to give Burnley the lead in the 77th minute.

He peeled away from his marker following a cross from Stephen Jordan but he sent a soft header into the goalkeeper's arms.

Substitute Jay Rodriguez scored the winner for Burnley in the 88th minute with a cool finish.

The 19-year-old rounded the goalkeeper two minutes after coming on following a superb through ball from Chris Eagles, who had also stepped off the bench.

Burnley: Jensen, Anderson (Duff 12), Carlisle, Caldwell, Jordan, Alexander, Elliott, Gudjonsson, McCann, Paterson (Rodriguez 85), Blake (Eagles 75)
Subs unused: Penny, Kalvenes, Mahon, Van der Schaaf

Scorers: Rodriguez 88

Fulham: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Stoor, Andreasen, Konchesky, Teymourian, Seol (Milsom 90), Gera (Paintsil 73), Dempsey, Kallio, Johnson (Nevland 72)
Subs unused: Stockdale, Leijer, Brown

Booked: Dempsey (ub,90)

Att: 7,119

Ref: M Jones

Source Ken Gaunt at PA Sport
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"