1 users online

The Arizonan

Fulham beat Newcastle Sun

last updated Sunday 22nd January 2012, 10:00 PM
The Sun Logo

Fulham (0) 5 Newcastle (1) 2

HAT-TRICK hero Clint Dempsey inspired an incredible second-half turnaround as Fulham came from a goal down to thrash Newcastle.

Everything seemed to be going so well for the Toon as they took a 1-0 lead into half-time thanks to Danny Guthrie's cracker.

But referee Lee Mason's decision to award penalty for Davide Santon's foul on substitute Andy Johnson - which looked to have taken place outside the box - sparked an amazing 17 minutes where the visitors imploded.

Danny Murphy tucked away the penalty before Dempsey scored twice and a second spot-kick was awarded for Tim Krul's foul on Johnson which Bobby Zamora confidently fired home.

Hatem Ben Arfa got one back for Newcastle late on but any consolation from the goal was soon dispensed with as Dempsey netted his third of the afternoon.

Speaking after the game, Fulham boss Martin Jol admitted even he could not get his head around the display.

He said: "You can explain everything.

"The first half we knew that we had to be a threat in behind the centre-backs, but we never did that.

"We couldn't exploit our extra man in midfield and in the second half it was different because we decided to play a more direct style.

That caused them more problems.

"It was 1-0 and we knew we had come back from that before.

The score was not the problem, the style of play was more of a problem.

We just didn't put enough energy into it.

"Of course with the runners from midfield and bringing on Andrew Johnson we got that.

" Newcastle dominated the first half as Yohan Cabaye got an audacious effort away inside the opening minute.

The Toon kept up the pressure as Shola Ameobi - making his 250th league appearance for the club - headed a Cabaye cross goalwards.

Ameobi then headed wide before Damien Duff offered the hosts first shot with 25 minutes played.

The Cottagers were looking sloppy, which was epitomised by Philippe Senderos almost heading a Leon Best chip into his own net after ignoring calls from goalkeeper Stockdale.

The west Londoners were backing off the visitors and almost paid the cost when skipper Fabricio Coloccini directed a right-wing cross goalwards, only to be denied by David Stockdale.

Fulham's difficult opening period got worse when Steven Sidwell - one of Fulham's better-looking players - limped off in the 37th minute to be replaced by Andrew Johnson, forcing Jol to alter his tactics.

The substitute partnered Zamora in attack as the home side moved to a 4-4-2 formation.

After Stockdale tipped wide a rasping Ameobi effort, the England squad member could do nothing to stop a superb 25-yard strike by Guthrie as half-time approached.

Jol made his second alteration of the afternoon at half-time, replacing Bryan Ruiz with Chris Baird.

The change saw Fulham become a more coherent unit and one which earned a penalty six minutes into the second period when Duff was brought down inside the box.

Perpetrator Santon avoided a second booking of the afternoon, but saw Murphy send Krul the wrong way and slot home the resulting penalty.

With Baird shutting down the dangerous-looking Cabaye and the new-look attack working well, the Cottagers were now in the ascendancy.

Only last-ditch defending stopped the home side taking the lead from an outswinging Murphy corner in the 56th minute.

First Krul reacted marvellously to stop Zamora netting from close range on the turn, before Baird saw his follow-up deflected over.

Fulham continued to press and, after neat interplay between Johnson and Zamora, Krul parried the latter's shot across goal and Dempsey bundled home at the far post.

Baird fired a 35-yard effort over as the Cottagers pressed for a third, which came in the 65th minute.

Again neat interplay between Fulham's strikers started the goal as Johnson laid off to Zamora and he played through Dempsey, who showed composure to fire across Krul.

Fulham netted a fourth three minutes later when Johnson shrugged off a rough challenge by Mike Williamson before being hauled down by Krul, who received a booking and was then beaten from the spot by Zamora.

Ben Arfa salvaged some late pride for the Toon as he weaved past John Arne-Riise before firing in at the near post, but it was soon cancelled out as Dempsey completed his treble.

Fulham: Stockdale, Kelly, Hangeland, Senderos, John Arne Riise, Ruiz (Baird 46), Murphy, Sidwell (Johnson 37), Duff, Dempsey (Frei 90), Zamora.
Subs Not Used: Etheridge, Gecov, Hughes, Briggs.

Goals: Murphy 52 pen, Dempsey 59, 65, Zamora 68 pen, Dempsey 89.

Newcastle: Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Ben Arfa, Guthrie (Perch 76), Cabaye (Gosling 83), Gutierrez, Best (Ryan Taylor 86), Shola Ameobi.
Subs Not Used: Elliot, Lovenkrands, Obertan, Ferguson.

Booked: Santon, Guthrie, Simpson, Krul.

Goals: Guthrie 43, Ben Arfa 85.

Att: 25,692

Ref: Lee Mason (Lancashire).

Source .
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"