0 users online

Fulham 2-5 Derby LCup 04 1415 Derby Telegraph

last updated Wednesday 29th October 2014, 11:34 PM

Derby Telegraph Logo
Derby Telegraph

Fulham (2) 2-5 (1) Derby

Derby County climbed off the canvas in devastating fashion to book a place in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup.

They roared back from two down to sink Fulham 5-2 at Craven Cottage last night.

Awful errors by Craig Forsyth and Omar Mascarell gifted the home side both goals, finished by 18-year-old striker Moussa Dembele.

Chris Martin's penalty with the final kick of the first half handed the Rams a lifeline and proved the turning point of a high-scoring contest.

Unhappy with what he had seen, head coach Steve McClaren had a face like thunder as he strode across the pitch at the break.

Whatever he said in the dressing room had the desired effect and Derby blew their opponents away in the second half.

Johnny Russell, Simon Dawkins with a double and Jeff Hendrick left the 3,000-plus Rams fans chanting "we want six".

The five goals had come in a 20-minute spell either side of half-time. Irresistible stuff.

It is the second time Derby have hit five past Fulham in a little over two months and this is the first time they have reached the last eight of the competition in six years.

McClaren is fond of the League Cup having won it as Middlesbrough boss in 2004 and although he made five changes to the team, Derby's XI still had a strong look about it.

Kelle Roos, Jake Buxton, Mascarell, Hendrick and Dawkins came in for Jack Butland, who was cup-tied, Zak Whitbread, John Eustace, Will Hughes and Jordon Ibe.

Buxton made his first appearance in six weeks and Dawkins his first start in eight matches. Central defenders Ryan Shotton and Whitbread did not travel with the squad, nor did Eustace and striker Leon Best, who has tonsillitis.

Shotton has yet to fully recover from the illness that ruled him out of the Wigan game, although he has been training. Whitbread and Eustace were rested with Saturday's visit to Brentford in mind.

Fulham's revival under caretaker manager Kit Symons had seen them win five of eight matches since Felix McGath was axed.

The improvement in results has seen Fulham climb off the bottom of the Championship and out of the drop zone.

Symons made eight changes to the side that beat Charlton Athletic on Friday and fielded a young side.

Six of those who started against Derby are 20 or under, including 20-year-old defender Stephen Arthurworrey, who made his debut. Four of the starters played in last season's FA Youth Cup final.

One of Fulham's changes saw veteran goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly come in for his first game since mid-September. The former Crystal Palace number one is 38.

Roos made only his second appearance in goal for Derby and proved a key figure in the opening exchanges.

The 22-year-old was, we are told, disappointed not to be handed a chance in the Championship when first-choice keeper Lee Grant was injured.

Instead, Derby moved to bring in Butland from Stoke City and so this was a chance for Roos to show what he can do and he made an excellent stop after 12 minutes.

Rams had possession and lost it and this allowed Fulham to pounce. Elsad Zverotic found Dembele, who cut inside Jake Buxton only for Roos to read the striker's thoughts and save low down to his left.

Roos then showed good hands to hold a header from Arthurworry, who found himself unmarked at a corner.

The home fans enjoyed Fulham's brightness and confidence going forward and while Derby saw plenty of the ball, their play stuttered and stalled in the final third.

Cyrus Christie and Forsyth got forward from their full-back positions, Craig Bryson, Hendrick and Dawkins probed but apart from a couple of comfortable saves from Martin, Kiraly was untroubled.

Fulham's start was rewarded with a goal after 27 minutes, although it came from Forsyth's glaring mistake.

There appeared to be no danger when Dawkins knocked the ball back to Forsyth but he failed to look before playing a poor back pass towards Roos. Dembele accepted the opportunity, rounded Roos and tapped the ball into the empty net.

Russell twice went close as Derby searched for an equaliser but they shot themselves in the foot again.

Mascarell, having received a goal kick from Roos in a central position, was caught in possession by Bryan Ruiz. The ball broke to Dembele and he finished low past Roos.

A harsh lesson for the Spaniard on loan from Real Madrid. Time on the ball is rare in the English game.

But Mascarell turned provider for his team in added time at the end of the first half.

His free kick into the area was clearly handled by Tim Hoogland and Martin stepped up to hammer his penalty high to Kiraly's right for his 11th goal of the season.

Timing of goals can be crucial and scoring before the break was essential for Derby, as was proved when they stormed back early in the second half to floor Fulham.

They were level within two minutes.

Dawkins' clever footwork took him to the bye-line, from where he pulled the ball back. Fulham could not clear and Russell smashed the ball home from six yards.

The Rams went ahead seven minutes later.

Dawkins received a pass from Bryson on the left side of Fulham's box. He cut inside and fired a stunning right-foot shot into the far top corner.

There was no stopping Derby now as they went for the throat.

Hendrick hammered in the fourth goal from close range following a cross from Forsyth before Dawkins brilliantly flicked Russell's centre past Kiraly.

Derby's place in tonight's draw was secure and it was time to introduce Paul Coutts for his first taste of competitive action in more than a year following injury problems.

Top of the Championship and now (whisper it) only two ties from a possible return to Wembley. Derby are sitting pretty.

The smiles that disappeared briefly following Saturday's defeat by Wigan Athletic are back.

Source .
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"