0 users online

Fulham 0-1 Wigan: Boa Morte returns

last updated Saturday 28th October 2006, 7:42 PM

Wigan registered their first away win of the season when Henri Camara pounced in the second half to snatch all claim points at Craven Cottage.

Luis Boa Morte
Luis Boa Morte returned
to first team football

The Latics looked destined to record their only goalless draw since entering the Barclays Premiership when Danny Landzaat missed a 76th-minute penalty.

But Camara showed no such nerves as he capitalised on an error from Fulham's defence with a magnificent finish that ended Wigan's away day blues.Wigan registered their first away win of the season after Henri Camara pounced in the second half to snatch all three points at Craven Cottage.

The Latics looked destined to record their only goalless draw since entering the Barclays Premiership after Danny Landzaat missed a 76th-minute penalty.

Referee Graham Poll had awarded the spot-kick when Zat Knight handled Camara's shot on the line but Landzaat, a £2.3million summer signing from AZ Alkmaar, hit the crossbar.

Camara showed no such nerves, however, as he capitalised on an error from Fulham's defence with a magnificent finish to end Wigan's away day blues.

The Cottagers named an unchanged line-up following last Saturday's 1-1 draw at Aston Villa and paid the price for their lack of ambition.

Brian McBride, operating as a lone striker, struggled to make an impression and a formation which has served them well on the road looked toothless at Craven Cottage.

Jimmy Bullard made a brief appearance before kick off, hobbling onto the pitch to warm applause from both sets of fans.

The midfielder left Wigan for Fulham over the summer only to sustain knee ligament damage after just four games and it is unknown if he will play again this season.

Bullard took his place in the stands as Wigan made an impressive start with Camara firing over the bar.

But it was panic stations in the visiting defence moments later when McBride's shot was blocked by Arjan De Zeeuw.

A Claus Jensen corner fell to McBride but he tried to set up Michael Brown instead of shooting and the chance was gone.

Fulham continued to press with skipper Knight picking out Tomasz Radzinski at the far post only for the Canadian international's header to sail wide.

It was an open match with Wigan also creating opportunities as Emile Heskey just failed to meet Emmerson Boyce's cross and Camara saw a good shot well saved.

Paul Scharner sent a diving header wide of the right post after being teed up by Teale as Wigan maintained the pressure on Fulham's goal.

Franck Queudrue was struggling to contain Teale on the right with the Scotland midfielder feeding Heskey on the edge of the area but the Wigan striker's turn and shot was too slow.

Jensen made a magnificent run which swept him past three defenders but his final effort sailed inches over the bar and a heartbeat later it was McBride who went close with Radzinski's centre just deflecting out of his reach.

Match Stats Fulham Wigan
Goals 0 1
Possession 42% 58%
Goal attempts 4 16
On Target 1 7
Corners 5 4
Off-sides 3 1
Fouls 11 12
Yellows 1 2
Reds 0 0
source: Soccernet

The initiative regularly changed hands with Landzaat making a mess of one chance in the 38th minute after more good work from the alert Teale.

Brown was penalised for making a dangerous tackle on Scharner but Teale's rocket flew off target after Landzaat had hit the wall with his free-kick.

Volz surged through midfield and fed McBride whose shot was blocked by De Zeeuw as Fulham made a bright start to the second half.

However, a blunder in the home defence meant Wigan went desperately close to taking the lead.

Heskey directed a header towards the left post which Liam Rosenior missed completely and it was only the sharp reactions of Antti Niemi that stopped it from going in the net.

But the Finland goalkeeper's despairing lunge saw the ball travel downwards with replays showing it may have crept marginally over the line.

Coleman replaced Volz with Wayne Routledge in a bid to give Fulham more attacking options but McBride was still operating alone up front.

Webster's full Premiership debut then came to end with Matt Jackson coming on to replace him.

The arrival of Luis Boa Morte, back after recovering from a damaged cheekbone, from the bench provoked a big cheer from home fans with Brown making way.

Controversy reigned in the 74th minute when Wigan were awarded a penalty for Knight handling the ball on the line.

Boyce crossed from the right and Camara shot but Knight kept the ball out of the net with his arm and Poll, who only booked the Fulham defender, pointed to the spot.

Landzaat's disappointing afternoon continued, however, when he smashed the penalty against the crossbar.

Wigan did manage to take the lead in the 83rd minute when Kevin Kilbane charged down Knight's clearance with the ball falling to Camara who escaped Queudrue and finished superbly.

Lee McCulloch could have made it 2-0 late on but the substitute was denied by Niemi.

Fulham Niemi, Rosenior, Knight, Pearce, Queudrue,Volz (Routledge 53), Brown (Boa Morte 69), Bocanegra,Claus Jensen, McBride, Radzinski.
Subs Not Used: Lastuvka, Helguson, John.

Booked: Knight (75,hb).

Wigan Kirkland, Boyce, De Zeeuw, Webster (Jackson 65), Baines,Teale, Scharner, Landzaat (Johansson 77), Kilbane,Heskey (McCulloch 52), Camara.
Subs Not Used: Pollitt, Cotterill.

Booked: De Zeeuw, Scharner.

Goals: Camara 83.

Att: 22,882

Ref: G Poll (Hertfordshire).






Source Duncan Bech at PA Sport
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"