0 users online

Frustrating draw away at Bournemouth

last updated Saturday 17th July 2010, 10:09 PM

Managerless Fulham came away from Bournemouth with a frustrating draw in their second pre-season friendly since Roy Hodgson's departure.

Zoltan Gera

Anton Robinson blasted the Cherries ahead with a well-timed volley before Bobby Zamora marked his first pre-season appearance with a first-half equaliser.

Bournemouth put up some stubborn resistance to a Fulham side who put in a poor performance to follow their 5-0 hammering of Brentford in midweek.

Temporary manager Ray Lewington was in charge of the team, but this may prove to be his last game in the role as reports suggest that Ajax manager Martin Jol could take over in the next few days.

Lewington named nine members of the starting XI which lost to Atletico Madrid in the Europa League final in May.

Captain Danny Murphy and last season's top scorer Zamora started their first pre-season games.

Zamora and strike partner Zoltan Gera spurned early chances before a period of wasteful passing allowed Bournemouth into the game.

The Cherries then gave the Barclays Premier League side a rude awakening in the 10th minute when a clearance from Liam Feeney's cross fell to Robinson who paused before unleashing a 25-yard volley past David Stockdale to give the npower League One side the lead.

The goal spurred Lewington's side into action and they got themselves back into the match in the 26th minute courtesy of Zamora.

A looping cross from Frederik Stoor was fumbled by Shwan Jalal and Zamora tapped into an empty net despite objections from the Bournemouth players that the striker had fouled the keeper.

Jonathan Greening and Eddie Johnson replaced Murphy and Zamora at the break as the visitors pushed for a second.

Fulham were quickly out of the blocks, with Johnson's pace allowing him to find space before firing straight at Jalal.

The lively American then played Gera in only for the Hungarian to snatch at his volley, causing it to drift over the bar.

Substitute Bjorn Helge Riise shaved the bar with a shot from an acute angle before David Elm, on for Gera, drove straight into Jalal's arms.

Chris Baird then cleared Jason Pearce's goalbound header off the line before Johnson's strike failed to beat Jalal after being sent through by Jonathan Greening in the dying minutes.

Source By Paul Hirst, Press Association Sport
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"