4 users online

infovavacascom, supinfotrcom, konuspornews, apkgaarcom

Burnley 2 Fulham 1 - Match Report

last updated Tuesday 20th February 2001, 10:41 PM
Fulham lost for only the fourth time in the league this season to an inspired Burnley comeback at Turf Moor.

Nobody would have thought that would be the outcome after Barry Hayles had given the runaway league leaders a 50th minute lead after what had been a poor first half.

However, out-of-form Burnley showed fight and sheer determination to turn their poor form and perhaps their season around. The play-offs will be back on the agenda in East Lancashire.

Ian Moore was the player that instigated the comeback. With only two goals in his 13 previous game since moving for a club record fee from Stockport, Moore had not done enough to satisfy the Burnley faithful that he was good value for his £1million fee in November.

Until this game. For with the fans beginning to question both Moore, his place in the side and boss Stan Ternent's tactical ability, the clever forward played best 25 minutes for the club.

Having earlier scored an equaliser from point-blank range, Moore robbed sub Fabrice Fernandes before feeding winger Glen Little (pictured) with a great reverse ball. The 25-year old winger Little kept his cool to score his first goal of the season - and first since gaining promotion at Scunthorpe in May - to win the game with three minutes left.

In a low-key first half an hour Fulham had been in a measure of control without playing at their best, only for on-loan striking debutant Gareth Taylor and Moore to prove irritants to the Fulham defence. Luis Boa Morte had ran the length pitch before Lee Clark put his effort across the face of goal, but the pitch was proving difficult for good football.

Barry Hayles scored his 17th of the season after an injury absence five minutes after the break when heading home Steve Finnan's cross at the far post. Finnan skipped too easily past Paul Cook before creating the chance.

That had seemingly taken the uncertainty out of the game as Fulham began to look the good side they are, while Burnley soon looked to be lacking confidence.

Steve Davis needed to be at his best to dispossess Clark in a good position, before Finnan hit a post and Moore beat Andy Melville but missed his chance - he could have gone down. The game had hotted up.

That was partly down to Bertie the Bee. The Burnley mascot had been 'sent off', but that incident only served to stir the passions of the home crowd, and their side were lifted.

Mitchell Thomas raced down the right on 73 minutes, Manchester City ace Taylor bravely headed across goal and Ian Moore tapped in the goal his prodigious workrate deserved.

Moore waited for one more moment of magic, and the surprise pressure put on Clarets boss Stan Ternent was lifted. How could anyone doubt his tactics now?

Michopoulos, Thomas, Cox, Davis, Weller, Branch, Cook, Little (Johnrose 90), Armstrong, Taylor, Moore (Mellon 90).

Subs Not Used:
Crichton, Payton, Mullin. Booked: Armstrong, Weller, Davis.

Taylor, Finnan, Symons, Melville, Brevett, Goldbaek, Clark, J Collins (Fernandes 67), Davis, Boa Morte (Riedle 80), Hayles.

Subs Not Used:
Hahnemann, Moller, Neilson.

Att: 15,737

Ref: S Lodge (Barnsley).
Source Ananova
Since 1998
"It's been updated!"