Football Rumours on Thursday 16th May 2013

last updated Thursday 16th May 2013, 9:50 AM


Football rumours
  • Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers was at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night to watch Wigan winger Callum McManaman and midfielder James McCarthy, both 22.
    ( The Times )


  • Rodgers is ready to make a £4m bid for 20-year-old Sporting Lisbon central defender Tiago Ilori.
    ( Daily Mirror )


  • Manuel Pellegrini has handed Manchester City a five-man shortlist of transfer targets after agreeing a two-year contract to manage the Premier League runners-up.
    ( Daily Star )


  • But Malaga have denied reports they will let the Chilean, 59, leave the Spanish club this summer.
    ( talkSPORT )


  • Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fernandinho, 28, wants the Ukrainian club to allow him to join Manchester City for less than his £40.5m release clause.
    ( Daily Express )


  • France full-back Bacary Sagna has shocked Arsenal by admitting he would not "close the door" on a move to Paris St-Germain or Monaco.
    ( The Sun )


  • Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund have joined Arsenal and AC Milan by showing an interest in Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, 22.
    ( Daily Mirror )


  • Chelsea are expected to confirm they have agreed terms with midfielder Frank Lampard, 34, over a new contract.
    ( London Evening Standard )


  • Hull manager Steve Bruce wants to sign Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel - son of his former Manchester United team-mate Peter - as the Tigers plan for their Premier League return.
    ( The Sun )



    OTHER GOSSIP

  • Chelsea defender Ashley Cole, 32, will be invited to captain England against the Republic of Ireland on 29 May to commemorate his 100th cap.
    ( Daily Mail )


  • Roy Hodgson has urged England's youngsters to step up to take over from Rio Ferdinand, 34, after the Manchester United defender announced his international retirement.
    ( The Sun )


  • Hodgson could call up uncapped Swansea winger Wayne Routledge, 28, for the end-of-season friendlies against Republic of Ireland and Brazil.
    ( The Independent )


  • Chelsea's Belgian attacker Eden Hazard, 22, says he would welcome the chance to work with Jose Mourinho, who has been linked with the manager's job.
    ( Daily Express )


  • Wigan chairman Dave Whelan remains confident that he can persuade Roberto Martinez, 39, to remain as Wigan Athletic manager despite the club's relegation from the Premier League.
    ( Daily Telegraph )


  • Retiring Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has criticised the hire-and-fire culture of the club's Premier League rivals.
    ( Daily Telegraph )


  • Former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli, 22, says he was not surprised that his former manager Roberto Mancini was sacked.
    ( CNN )


  • Meanwhile, City are set to announce plans to expand their Etihad Stadium by a further 6,000 seats to a capacity of 54,000 - making it the third biggest Premier League ground.
    ( The Independent )


  • Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has hailed the "immense contribution" of Jamie Carragher, 35, and says there will always be a role for the retiring defender at Anfield.
    ( Liverpool Echo )


  • Relegated Wolves are lining up an ambitious move for former England manager Steve McClaren as they aim to return to the Championship at the first attempt.
    ( Daily Mirror )


  • Juventus coach Antonio Conte, 43, has confirmed he will remain at the club next season following an agreement struck with directors on Wednesday.
    ( Corriere della Serra )


  • Former Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia, 39, is to become the sole coach of Bayer Leverkusen, a job he previously shared with Sascha Lewandowski.
    ( L'Equipe )


  • Fifa president Sepp Blatter says it is "not rational" to play football in the heat of the Qatari summer, as planned for the 2020 World Cup.
    ( Sueddeutsche )



    AND FINALLY

  • Chelsea's Europa League final bid almost got off to the worst possible start when the team coach left their Amsterdam hotel without 30-year-old goalkeeper Petr Cech.
    ( Metro )


  • A sports news website linked to the company owned by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has apologised after claiming the Magpies were set to make a move for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, 27.
    ( SportsDirect News )





















  • Source Football rumours
    Since 1998
    "It's been updated!"
     

    Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!