Fulham manager Chris Coleman felt referee Mike Riley had no option but to abandon his team's clash at Sunderland.
Riley believed the conditions were unplayable midway through the first half due to the atrocious weather on Wearside.
Although the visitors led 1-0 at the time, courtesy of Brian McBride's goal, the Cottagers boss could not argue with the decision to call the game off.
"There was one bad injury, whether it was down to the conditions, I'm not sure," explained Coleman to Sky Sports. "But I'm disappointed.
"We started very brightly, although the pitch wasn't great. We went 1-0 up and brought some good support as well.
"I feel sorry for the fans who have got to go back to London. It'd be disappointing, we were 1-0 up and looked in good shape.
"We've got to come back up as there's a job to be done but we've got to wait until the game gets the go-ahead again.
"It was a great goal, we took it very well, and we started today like a good team. We are a good team when we play like that. It was great football - because of the conditions we didn't knock it long.
"We had Papa Bouba Diop, Antti Niemi and Wayne Bridge back. We had some main players back and it was pretty much one of the strongest sides I've set up this season.
"We're still missing one or two but were looking forward to it. I knew it was going to be tough as I'm very good friends with Kevin Ball but I think four points keeps us safe and we've just got to keep ploughing on.
"The ref just asked the fourth official to check the forecast. I couldn't see from one side of the pitch to the other. Antti Niemi at one point just didn't see the Sunderland striker closing him down and they could've scored. It was that bad at one point. The fourth official thought the pitch wouldn't get better so he decided to call it off.
"We looked in good form today but I see his [Riley's] point. The pitch wasn't great.
"Both sets of supporters were disappointed but I understand where the referee was coming from. You've got to think of the players' safety and, all the while the conditions were getting worse, he had to do something about it."Sunderland boss Kevin Ball had no complaints over the decision to abandon the Barclays Premiership clash with Fulham.
Referee Mike Riley called a halt 21 minutes into the game with Fulham leading 1-0 after heavy snow and rain left the Stadium of Light pitch waterlogged.
Had the scoreline stayed the same, the Black Cats would have been relegated despite Portsmouth's 2-2 home draw with Blackburn, but the official had little choice with conditions becoming increasingly dangerous.
"Mike had no choice but to call the game off in the end," said Sunderland caretaker manager Ball. "I was standing in the technical area and at times I couldn't see across the pitch.
"I was getting pelted with - I don't know whether you would call it snow, ice or God knows what - but they were the biggest lumps I've ever been hit with.
"In the end, the safety of the players is of paramount importance, and it was getting to the stage then where I think he had no choice. I think he made the right decision.
"Chris Coleman and I had a laugh and a chat about it because he was 1-0 up, but he would have no complaints.
"Somebody said would I have felt upset if we were 1-0 up and the game was called off, and I have to say no."
Sunderland were trailing to Brian McBride's ninth-minute strike when the game was halted, although that was not soon enough for Black Cats midfielder Rory Delap, who was left with stitches in a head wound and a suspected broken nose after a clash of heads with teammate George McCartney.
"Whether the weather was a contributing factor to that, I'd have to look at it again, but Rory took a right crack on his hooter and has stitches, and George has a cut as well.
"We had two players down at one time and I couldn't see who it was. You could not see and we didn't know whether it was going to change, so he had to call it off."
Riley, who initially inspected the pitch at 2.30pm and decided to start the game, said he had taken the decision in the interests of the players' safety.
"Around 2.30pm, I went out to warm up and at that point it was raining very heavily with standing water over both flanks of the pitch," he said.
"I talked to the groundsman, who advised us that he had been forking the pitch all day, but given the amount of rain we had had in such a short time, there was very little he could do to manage the situation.
"We were hoping the rain would stop, but unfortunately the forecast for the afternoon was more rain, more snow, so we thought we would try to get the game started, hoping the weather would clear up, hoping the players by their actions might kick the surface water away.
"But the longer the game went on, you could see the ball was not rolling, players were sliding and couldn't keep their footing, and the conditions weren't improving.
"The only likelihood was that somebody was going to get injured, which is what we don't want.
"I came across and talked to the fourth official to find out what the latest weather forecast was, and the forecast was the same.
"At the same time, I was talking to both managers. We tried then to carry on, but the conditions didn't improve and eventually, we had to stop the game because it just wasn't safe for the players."